October 17, 2011

Alphabet Quilt Finished

Wow!  Two Months!  Talk about a leave of absence.  September was an insanely busy month and to tell the truth October isn't a whole lot calmer.  On the bright side, I got DH back from his 4 month patrol in Africa, that was a joyous day.  We had 2 weeks of vacation, 1 week of visitors, and the other 4 week just trying to get back in the swing of things.  I haven't completly stopped crafting, jut haven't had time to post.  I managed to finish my Alphabet Quilt for my neices birthday.

Here's the finished product:


If you enlarge the picture you can see the stitching in the 6 all white blocks, there's a large cupcake stitched in each one with "happy colors" as I call them. 


This quilt was really easy to make.  Each square is 6" and each letter is 4 1/2" tall.  I used my Silhouette SD to cut the letters using their fabric interfacing. I appliqued each letter onto a white square, obviously, then machine stitched it down.  Peiced the rows together and hand quilted around each letter.  Then I cut a stencil of a large cupcake using my Silhouette SD and used that to trace and hand quilt the cupcake in the remaining white squares.  After the quilting was done I binded it with the continous binding. 
It was that simple.  Anyone can make it.  ☺  If you don't have access to a Silhouette you can trace letters by hand onto an interfacing such as Wonder-Under then cut and applique that way.  A great present for a child just learning to recognize letters and how to read.

Photobucket

No comments: