August 6, 2011

Jam, Jam, Jam, and more Jam

I've been keeping myself pretty busy the last few days making batches and batches and batches of jam.

Blueberry Jam,

Strawberry Jam,

Peach Jam, and

Raspberry Jam. 

We go through jam like it grows on trees in the back yard.  Right now I have 35 jars of homemade jam.  That might be enough to last my family until Christmas.  Last week I spotted a farmer selling blueberries in the town square, so I bought 10 lbs, then I found peaches and strawberries for sale at the local supermarket, and today I bought some raspberries, because it's a sin to go to all this work and not have any raspberry jam. (it's my favorite.)

Next week I hope, if I have time, to make one batch of mixed berry jam and one batch of apricot jam.

I make my jam using the Sure•Jell Premium Fruit Pectin (in the yellow box)
All the directions are inside the box and there are hundreds more recipes on their website at http://www.kraftbrands.com/surejell



I had 10 lbs of blueberries, but only used half, and got 6 pints
7 lbs peaches and got 9 pints
3 Quarts Strawberries and got 4 pints
and 36 oz Raspberries and got 5 pints.

Blueberry Jam:
4 C. Crushed Blueberries
4 C. Sugar

Peach Jam:
4 C. Finely Chopped Peaches
2 Tbsp. Fresh Lemon Juice
5 ½ C. Sugar

Raspberry Jam:
5 C. Crushed Raspberries
7 C. Sugar

Combine exact amount of fruit, 1 box Sure•Jell Pectin and lemon juice (if needed). Heat over high heat until at a full rolling boil, stirring constantly.
Quickly mix in measured sugar and bring back to full rolling boil. Boil, stirring constantly for 1 minute. Remove from heat and pour into sterile jars. Top with new seal and ring. Process in water bath canner for 10 minutes.
To sterilize jars, wash with hot soapy water, then place on cookie sheet in oven at 200° for 15 minutes, keep in oven until ready to use.
When you begin cooking your jam, place new seals in a small saucepan of boiling water until ready to use.
Photobucket

No comments: