December 11, 2011

Poppyseed Chicken

When I first got married, my in-laws told me about about this Poppyseed chicken that they all loved. I thought it sounded nasty....I mean crushed ritz crackers on top....bleck! Anyways I decided to give it a try and turns out I love it! So for all of you out there who are thinking the same thing as I did, give it a try....you may like it too! :)

Poppyseed Chicken (Great freezer meal too!)

You will need:
2 chicken breast (cut into cubes)
Seasonings (I like Mrs. Dash- chicken)
2 Cups Cooked Rice
1/2 tub of sour cream (about a cup)
1 can cream of chicken soup
2 Tablespoons butter or marg. (melted)
1 sleeve of Ritz crackers (if you use the off brand, it tastes funny, so be sure to use Ritz brand)
Poppyseeds (prob. between 1 and 2 Tablespoons)

First cut up your chicken into cubes and cook it in a pan.
Season the chicken as you wish. I prefer Mrs. Dash's chicken seasoning.
Cook your rice, either on the stove or in a rice cooker. I prefer regular rice compared to the instant stuff, I think it tastes better.
Prepare your containers. I usually make smaller pans, so I can freeze a bunch. I buy these containers from the dollar store.
I am making a huge batch, thus the 3 cans and tubs (if your following what I listed above you will only need 1 of each)
Mix together the sour cream and soup.
Add the cooked rice and the cooked chicken and mix together. Then scoop into your pan or pans.
Then take your crackers, butter and poppyseeds....
Crush the entire sleeve of crackers until fine crumbs, then pour in the melted butter and sprinkle in the poppyseeds. Mix well. I like to mix mine in a gallon sized bag, but a bowl would work too.
Then sprinkle a layer of the cracker mixture on top of your rice mixture. (this picture shows that I did a thin layer of crackers....I usually have more)
Then bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until hot. If your making this for freezer meals, then label your containers and put in the freezer!
Enjoy!

No comments: