December 30, 2010

Bacon Onion Beef Brisket

I never realized how incredibly off-schedule the holidays can make me.  What a week!  I have not had dinner on the table at a reasonable hour since Christmas Eve!  It's Crazy!

Speaking of Christmas Eve though... the last bi-weekly vote for dinner voted for Bacon Onion Beef Brisket.  I made it for dinner on Christmas Eve and it was FANTASTIC!  However, because of the hussle and bussle of the Christmas Eve day... I FORGOT to take a Picture!  Sorry.  *Edited: Picture has been inserted!  Lucky You!*

You'll just have to take my word for it.  It looked, smelled, and tasted like something from a gourmet kitchen!  The company we had that night said it was fantastic!

So here's the recipe.  You should seriously try this one.

Bacon Onion Beef Brisket

1 Tbsp Butter
1 Large Onion, sliced
3 cloves Garlic, sliced ( I actually used minced dried Garlic 3 tsp.)
2 Tbsp. Balsamic Vinegar
1/4Cup Beef Broth
3 1/2 lbs Beef Brisket
1/2 tsp. Pepper
4 Thick Slices Smoked Bacon, chopped

Line large baking pan with heavy foil.  In large skillet melt butter over medium heat.  Add onion and garlic, cook and stir 3 minutes.  Reduce heat to med-low; stir in vinegar.  Cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Stir in broth. 
Season brisket with pepper and place in baking pan.  Top brisket with onion and bacon.  Bring edges of foil up and enclose the brisket.  Crimp to seal, leaving room for expansion.  Bake 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 hours at 350°(I cooked mine for 2 1/4 hour and it was perfect, but it depends on your stove and altitude.)  Slice or shread.


The next time I make this I will cook it slower and longer.  I might lower the temp to 250° and cook it for 3 1/2 hours.  Then it will be just a bit more tender.  All in all, excellent dish.

No comments: