November 10, 2010

Little Rocking Chair Pad

My Great Grandmother, Myrtle Millard, (yes that was her name, if you think I'm joking I'm not.)  She was an amazing woman, I wish I knew her secrets.  When I was a very little girl, about my daughters age, she made a seat cover for a rocking chair that was just my size.  My daughter know has that same rocking chair, and that same 80's orange and green chair pad.  If you look closely at some of the pictures taken in my daughters pink room I'm sure you might see what I mean.  I'm sure it was all the style when I was a young child, but not any more.  *sorry Grandma!*

So I made it new today. 

I started by cutting my pieces:

2 rectangles for the front and back of seat
2 thick strips for the top straps
4 thin strips for the seat ties
Then I folded the edges in to make the edge look nice and straight.  I pressed this.
 Then I folded them in half, length ways for the top straps and short ways for the seat ties.
 I then put a zig-zag stitch down both sides of the top straps and a straight stitch straight down the edge of the seat ties.

After that I put my batting in between the front and back pieces and pinned all my ties and straps were I needed them.  I zig-zag stitched all the way around the the edge.  Then I made zig-zag stitches straight through the fabric to make a seat and a little head rest.



Here's the finished result.  I think it looks much better.
 I tied the seat down and tied a pretty bow on each side.
The back straps are saftey pinned on, for easy removal and cleaning purposes.  ☺

No comments: