January 24, 2011

Great Granola Bars!

I'm trying to figure out this whole "nutrition" thing, for myself and my family.  It's been hard.  It's a lot more complicated than people make it out to be.  Anyway the biggest struggle for me has been snack time.  (My kids are 1 and 2 1/2)  What do kids eat these days anyway?  I got this crazy idea to make granola bars.  I never buy them cause they're so freaking expensive!  I found this great recipe and made them the other day.  What A Hit!  The kids LOVE them.  Not to mention myself and my husband love them as well.  The best part, they're pretty healthy. ( I think)  Anyway.

(This picture is pre-cooked.  Once again I forgot to take after pictures.)
(click link to get orginal recipe)

4 1/2 cups rolled oats
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2/3 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup honey
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
2 cups craisins



Lightly grease one 9x13 inch pan. In a large mixing bowl combine the oats, flour, baking soda, vanilla, butter, honey and brown sugar. Stir in the craisins.  Lightly press mixture into the prepared pan. Bake at 325° for 9 minutes, remove and press once again.  Return to oven for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool for 10 minutes then cut into bars. Let bars cool completely in pan before removing or serving.

No comments: